Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A contagious viral disease, with symptoms like mild measles. It can cause fetal malformation if contracted in early pregnancy.Also called German measles
- ‘Animal research has led to vaccines for rabies, smallpox, rubella, measles and anthrax.’
- ‘The symptoms of rubella appear two to three weeks after infection.’
- ‘Our data do not show a real increase in the incidence of congenital rubella.’
- ‘I have had to import single vaccines for mumps, measles, and rubella for these families from Europe and Japan.’
- ‘Doctors insist the jab is safe and that a failure to give children the immunisation could lead to an outbreak of mumps, measles and rubella.’
- ‘Immunity to rubella does not protect a person from measles, or vice versa.’
- ‘Almost all children need to be inoculated to prevent measles, mumps and rubella regaining a grip.’
- ‘Any pregnant woman who has been exposed to rubella should contact her obstetrician immediately.’
- ‘With many infections, such as rubella and toxoplasmosis, the risk is greatest in the first trimester.’
- ‘A woman should be tested prior to pregnancy for immunity to rubella, and vaccinated if she is not immune.’
- ‘The serum was also used in vaccines against measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria and whooping cough until as late as 1993.’
- ‘Measles, mumps, and rubella are infections that can lead to significant illness.’
- ‘Patients given vaccines against measles, mumps and rubella, polio, rabies and Japanese encephalitis are not affected.’
- ‘When a mother has certain infections, such as rubella, during pregnancy, it can cause birth defects.’
- ‘There is no proof of the safety and effectiveness of single jabs for measles, mumps and rubella, scientists said yesterday.’
- ‘All pregnant women should be screened for rubella if testing was not performed before conception.’
- ‘Other viral illnesses such as mumps and rubella may also trigger Bell's palsy.’
- ‘The government determines the risk management strategy to deal with the diseases mumps, measles, and rubella.’
- ‘If women catch rubella during pregnancy, especially in the first three months, this can cause malformations in the developing baby.’
- ‘If you're exposed to rubella when you're pregnant, you can have blood tests to be sure you're immune.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, neuter plural of Latin rubellus reddish.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.