One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loop of stretchy rubber for holding things together.
- ‘When his back was turned, she pulled out a paper clip and a rubber band, took careful aim, and fired.’
- ‘For starters, try stretching a little piece of nylon stocking across the lens and hold it onto the lens barrel with a rubber band.’
- ‘Less than three months later, a woman found a blue rubber band in some vegetable pakoras she had bought from a store in Saltaire.’
- ‘She put six stems in each, added a little extra water to the bag and sealed it with a rubber band.’
- ‘Remove leaves from the stems, gather stems in bunches, and secure each bundle with a rubber band.’
- ‘Once the resistance is no longer sufficient, switch to a smaller rubber band.’
- ‘Holding the vine in place, he gently stretched a wide rubber band over the pins as shown in the illustration.’
- ‘Drain blood from the finger and apply a tourniquet using a rubber band at the base of the affected digit.’
- ‘Each of the 3,000 jars has a cellophane cover secured by a rubber band.’
- ‘The wooden car works with the simple technology of a wide rubber band.’
- ‘There was no special ribbon or tissue paper wrapped lovingly around them, just an ugly rubber band.’
- ‘I picked it up, took off the rubber band that held it together, and began to thumb through it.’
- ‘Mia took a rubber band from her pocket, using it to tie her hair up.’
- ‘Stretch it over the lens and tie it on with a rubber band.’
- ‘Many people bend them over and slip a rubber band over them, or in the case of bulbs like Daffodils tie them with one of the long leaves.’
- ‘He carried a wooden cane that was splintered at the handle so he had a rubber band to keep it together.’
- ‘Jamie was playing with a rubber band, stretching it between his long fingers.’
- ‘The idea is to create resistance between the hips and shoulders so there is a lot of tautness, like a stretched rubber band.’
- ‘Walker loosened the rubber band and fanned the bills in front of him.’
- ‘The process is complex, for the yarn has to be dyed as many times by tying a rubber band around areas that ought to resist the dye.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.