One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
phrasal verbNorth American
kill, murder, cause the death of, end the life of, take the life of, do away with, make away with, assassinate, do to death, eliminate, terminate, dispatch, finish off, put to death, executeView synonyms
- ‘The men were in New York for a week, just to rub someone out.’
- ‘So of course they're gonna rub him out, or kill him, or something.’
- ‘I've often wondered why they haven't just rubbed him out.’
- ‘The story is about two secret agents who are suddenly forced to rub each other out.’
- ‘I had nothing but a raw animal instinct in me to rub this man out, to erase him.’
- ‘Two of their assassins were sent in to rub him out for good.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.