One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An exercise machine with a sliding seat, used to strengthen the muscles used in rowing.
- ‘The new fitness centre has 26 stations including four treadmills, four cross-trainers, bikes, upper body exercisers and rowing machines.’
- ‘He'll show you how to ride the stationary bicycle and how to row on the rowing machine.’
- ‘Branch out with another sport a couple of times a week and try using a stair climber, rowing machine or cross-country ski machine to take the stress off an injured area’
- ‘Four indoor rowing machines have been installed at the school along with £50,000 of equipment which has been provided at the club for the children to use as they progress to learning on the water.’
- ‘The gym is equipped with treadmills, rowing machines, cross-trainer bicycles and all the machinery you need for a comfortable work out.’
- ‘Castletownshend Rowing Club have installed exercise and rowing machines in the upper floor of the Boathouse, toilets on the lower floor and are shortly to install showers.’
- ‘He has physiotherapy twice a week and as part of his treatment he also uses the rowing machine to build up the muscles in his legs.’
- ‘We only had to row 500m on a rowing machine as fast as possible but I got a bit overenthusiastic on the warm up and was shattered before I'd even started the test.’
- ‘To meet demand the centre has four treadmills, eight elliptical machines, eight stationary bikes, four rowing machines, two steppers and a range of weight machines, hand weights and stability balls.’
- ‘The rowing machine tells me if today's workout was a personal best.’
- ‘We've been encouraging people to try out a triathlon on a rowing machine, exercise bike and treadmill.’
- ‘You don't need any expensive exercise bikes or rowing machines; the only key piece of equipment you need is a pedometer to record your daily step count.’
- ‘All candidates will be following a special exercise programme, which involves using the rowing machine and stretching with dumb-bells.’
- ‘While the gym had two rowing machines and four exercise bikes, there was only one treadmill and no cross trainers or steppers.’
- ‘You can get just as good a workout whether you're using a treadmill, an elliptical trainer or a rowing machine, Robbins says.’
- ‘The bulk of the money will go for a new treadmill, as well as exercise bikes, rowing machines and wheelchairs for use on the hospital wards.’
- ‘Interest in the sport has grown hugely over the past couple of years as more and more people who have enjoyed getting fit on indoor rowing machines in the gym want to experience the real thing on the water.’
- ‘The patient has no history of cardiovascular disease and regularly exercised on cycle and rowing machines.’
- ‘John's fitness regime also includes a full circuit of the gym equipment, including the leg curls, rowing machine, cycling machine and weights.’
- ‘They had a swimming pool, a hot tub and a steam room, even a mini gym with treadmills, weights and rowing machines.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.