One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a row of houses joined by common sidewalls.
- ‘By late summer 1996, Webb was the owner of a two-unit Victorian row house in the Capitol’
- ‘You can do the same things mentioned here on a smaller scale in an apartment or row house or mobile home.’
- ‘The house we rented, like thousands of others in the city, was built largely of concrete, and would have looked at home as a row house in California.’
- ‘Most of the narrow-fronted wooden row houses that gave Kyoto its distinctive character have been destroyed with the full support of the city authorities.’
- ‘Like many older homes in the Washington, D.C. area, the row house needed renovations.’
- ‘My guide makes his way through the front door of a two-story row house not unlike the offices of any community organization, in any urban neighborhood.’
- ‘The row house followed a standard plan of three narrow stories above a raised basement with service entrance.’
- ‘The area was safe and clean when I was growing up, with both a Catholic school and a public school within walking distance of our row houses.’
- ‘One police car is double-parked out front, and the door of the row house is propped open.’
- ‘Two Sundays ago, the Philadelphia Mural Arts Program unveiled a striking work that covers one wall of a corner row house at Dauphin and Tulip streets.’
- ‘I lived in a ugly brown row house on a Coast Guard base.’
- ‘This restored 1853 Federal-style row house was the city's first such property when it opened more than 20 years ago.’
- ‘He was then living in a dilapidated row house in South Philadelphia with his girlfriend, Maya, and their two small boys.’
- ‘These are kids who grew up in tenements, high rises, government housing or row houses.’
- ‘The neighbourhood near Queen's is almost a century old and many of the residences contained therein are row houses.’
- ‘Five people perished Sunday morning in a blaze that swept through their Philadelphia row house.’
- ‘He established his practice in 1970, coming to prominence in 1976 with the Azuma House, a row house that embodied what would evolve as the essential principles of Ando's architecture.’
- ‘Housing in the coal-mining areas generally consists of row houses built in the nineteenth century.’
- ‘Instead of row houses, there were brightly colored individual cottages, tightly packed together, with round windows and doors - diminutive dwellings fit only for what must be very little people.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.