A mixture of fat (especially butter) and flour used in making sauces.
- ‘While all of this was going on, he showed me how to make a roux.’
- ‘His recipe has you make a roux of five tablespoons each flour and butter, to which you add one and one-half cups stock.’
- ‘Gumbo - half soup and half stew - is based on a roux and innumerable combinations of fish, meat and vegetables.’
- ‘Whisk the milk and cream mixture into the roux and cook for four minutes, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula.’
- ‘This rich and creamy mussel soup is lighter than the original, with neither egg yolks nor a flour-and-butter roux to thicken it.’
From French (beurre) roux browned (butter).