One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A nematode, especially a parasitic one found in the intestines of mammals.
- ‘Canine heartworm is a serious and potentially fatal parasitic condition, transmitted by mosquitoes, in which roundworms develop in the heart and major blood vessels of dogs.’
- ‘Lab tests indicate huge quantities of garlic may fight roundworm, the most common intestinal parasite.’
- ‘Cat roundworms are known to cause visceral larval migrans in children, although less so than their canine counterpart.’
- ‘Transmission of roundworm, whipworm and hookworm requires a warm wet environment to ensure survival of eggs or larvae in soil that is contaminated with human faeces.’
- ‘Before the Ontario Ministry of Health decided that raw fish must be frozen before it can be served, no one was worried about parasitic roundworms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.