One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Ammunition in the form of cast-iron or steel spherical balls for firing from cannon.
- ‘On 23 October 1854, he recorded the number of guns, ammunition requirements, and a shortage of round shot, a report which the Russian embassy telegraphed to St Petersburg the day it appeared.’
- ‘If you read back in the history, you find that they fired all kinds of things out of the cannons: not only round shot, but also chain shot, bar shot, grape shot.’
- ‘At Zhoushan the naval commander, in his barrage covering the landing, used round shot instead of grape or canister, in order to minimize Chinese casualties.’
- ‘Cannon were the most difficult component to produce in the colonies, but the United States produced simple iron smoothbore tubes and round shot as early as 1777.’
- ‘Stacking round shot on deck would also create danger whenever the ship encountered rough seas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.