One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having the shoulders bent forward so that the back is rounded.‘a round-shouldered slouch’
- ‘When your middle and upper body are weak compared to your leg and hip muscles, you're more prone to low back pain which poor, round-shouldered runners are so famous for.’
- ‘Bend at the hips, not the waist or back - this will help prevent you from getting too round-shouldered.’
- ‘Some studies have shown that a consistently round-shouldered posture may cause a shortening in one of the shoulder ligaments (the band of tissue that connects the bones).’
- ‘She was round, round-bellied, round-shouldered, round-hipped, and always smiling, always jolly.’
- ‘The round-shouldered promoter spent the morning wandering about looking lugubrious.’
- ‘A big, hearty, round-shouldered guy full of bonhomie, Lechelt is never more bearish than when he talks about seafood.’
- ‘Slim, round-shouldered, with a feint moustache, he looked careworn and world-weary from the moment he graduated to international cricket.’
- ‘The willowy and immaculate members of this class are physically contrasted to the squat and round-shouldered working class.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.