Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Australian A marine fish with a deep laterally compressed body and large rough-edged scales that become spiny on the belly.
- ‘Orange roughy reach 150 years old and they don't reproduce until they're in the mid 20s to mid 30s.’
- ‘Orange roughy were found in concentrations in some locations, but underwater pinnacles and other obstructions made trawling very difficult.’
- ‘The smaller silver roughy, H. mediterraneus, has a similarly wide distribution but is of much less importance.’
- ‘Orange roughie live 130 years and these things are completing their life cycle in a year.’
- ‘Florida Bay serves as a spawning ground for pretty much every fish in the central Atlantic - grouper, snapper, mahi-mahi, pompano, roughy.’
2another term for ruff
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.