Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Fibrous indigestible material in vegetable foodstuffs that aids the passage of food and waste products through the gut.
roughage, bulk, fibrous materialView synonyms
- ‘If people were designed to be strict vegetarians, we would have a specialized colon, specialized teeth and a stomach that doesn't have a generalized pH - all the better to handle roughage.’
- ‘It has a sugar so it gives you some energy, but it also has some fiber and roughage, so it gives the illusion of being healthier.’
- ‘Consumerism exploits our instinctive tendency to overeat fats and sugars by dressing food products up as ‘healthy’ or ‘nourishing’ or ‘energy giving’ when what most of us need is plenty of roughage and a lot less calories.’
- 1.1Farming Coarse, fibrous fodder.
- ‘Sows in group housing that were not fed additional roughage had an increased risk of body lesions than sows in herds where additional roughage was fed.’
- ‘Conversely, the rationale for starting cattle on a diet with less roughage and more concentrate is based on the perceived improvement in performance and, thereby, increased profitability.’
- ‘It takes 60 to 90 days for them to develop the four-chamber ruminant stomach that allows them to eat roughage and extract protein from it.’
- ‘In order to produce twenty times more milk than a calf would need, she receives a diet heavy in grain - not the roughage that cows have evolved to digest easily - causing metabolic disorders and painful lameness.’
- ‘In many areas of the Southeast U.S., cottonseed hulls are often the primary source of roughage or are used to extend conventional forage supplies.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.