One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large powerful dog of a tall black-and-tan breed.
- ‘‘She doesn't like the snow,’ said Diane, patting the Rottweiler's, sleek back.’
- ‘The Canadian Ranger who fought off two Rottweilers to save a six-year-old boy was awarded a Medal of Bravery by the Governor General on December 6.’
- ‘Each year in Canada and the U.S. dozens of children are mauled and killed by dogs, with pit bulls, Rottweilers and German shepherds involved in the majority of fatal attacks.’
- ‘The AKC's stats show that the large-dog trend started to gather steam in 1972, as breeds such as Labs, Doberman pinschers, and Rottweilers showed steady increases from year to year.’
- ‘When I'm filming in Los Angeles, I'll rollerblade with my two dogs - a Rottweiler and black Labrador retriever - along the bike path.’
Early 20th century: German, from Rottweil, the name of a town in SW Germany.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.