One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cruel, stingy, or unkind person.
scoundrel, rogue, villain, wretch, reprobateView synonyms
- ‘Just as the FBI has its ‘most wanted’ list of criminals, American women have their own ‘most dastardly’ list of unfaithful rotters and cheats.’
- ‘No soap is without its stock rotter, this one appearing in the guise of a male chauvinist pig.’
- ‘The party-pooping rotters have now left local children in tears at the prospect of facing Christmas without their favourite novelty garden decoration.’
- ‘He was the rotter who sometimes got ahead of me in the Covent Garden gallery queue and took over what I thought of as my seat on the centre gangway of the front row.’
- ‘The dueling scene where we go from hating the rotter to feeling pity for him to hating him again when he finds a way to screw Casanova over was masterly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.