One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Weathered siliceous limestone used as a powder or paste for polishing metals.
- ‘For a glassy finish, use pumice or rottenstone (decomposed limestone).’
- ‘Of course there's sanding between coats and a final rub out with pumice or rottenstone to give an even ‘dead’ surface.’
- ‘Using rottenstone will produce the finest mirror-like finish.’
- ‘For the final touch, rub down the table using a thin paste of rottenstone.’
- ‘For older stains use a paste of rottenstone, baking soda or cigarette ashes mixed with mineral oil, linseed oil, or lemon oil.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.