One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A thing which rotates or which causes something to rotate.
- ‘This is a combined rotator and tilting mechanism with a multi-directional action that allows buckets, grapples, grapple saws, or other attachments to be positioned exactly where required for any job.’
- ‘Students, known as rotators, work six days a week, pulling 12-hour shifts side-by-side with medical staff at the hospital.’
- ‘It has to be emptied into a metal rotator with three gallons of tap water and a pouch of marinade concentrate.’
- ‘The importance the agency places on the role is witnessed, for example, by the fact that about half the program directors are rotators.’
- ‘Finally, some traffic exchanges will allow pop-up, active x controls, site rotators, etc. in their network.’
- ‘If you live where there is only one nearby city with television stations then a rotator is probably useless because television transmitters are usually all located in the same place in one city.’
- ‘It will also help prevent overworking your external rotators, your front delts and your traps.’
- ‘It is understood that one of the handles on the low rotator was missing.’
- ‘Let's look at some of the benefits of an image rotator.’
- ‘The rotator can also take vertical down pressure.’
- ‘The rotator has a 100 000 lb load rating and can withstand the head being pushed into the ground to aid machine mobility.’
- ‘Then the oil and aqueous phases are emulsified in a rotator.’
- ‘The whole point of rotators is that there are people coming from the same place you're coming from.’
- ‘Peak torque ratios of eccentric external rotators to concentric internal rotators were selected as the dependent variables.’
- ‘They modified the base of the device to raise the mounting plate of the rotator so that the axis of the rotator is on the same level as the hub of the tone arm.’
- ‘The company has expanded the selection of grapples available to loggers with its new line of severe-duty grapples and new rotators.’
- ‘During the four weeks the rotators work at Ben Taub, they work 14-hour night shifts that start Wednesday and run through Monday.’
- ‘The hoses that I broke were mainly those to the head rotator.’
- 1.1Anatomy A muscle whose contraction causes or assists in the rotation of a part of the body.
- ‘Since the rotators are endurance muscles, they require more repetitions to build strength.’
- ‘Treatment is conservative and consists of rest followed by stretching of the hip flexors and rotators, then strengthening and gradual return to sport.’
- ‘The quads, hip flexors, hip rotators, hamstrings and glutes are primary core stabilizers.’
- ‘We typically recommend exercising the rotators before a workout, however, as a warm-up before moving on to heavier weights.’
- ‘These muscles, known as the six deep outward rotators, are located in the middle-lower gluteal area and tend to tighten with repetitive use.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.