Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[often with modifier] A fraudulent or dishonest act or practice.‘a tax rort’
deception, trick, cheat, hoax, subterfuge, stratagem, wile, ruse, artifice, swindle, racketView synonyms
- ‘It is possible to win by addressing these issues openly and honesty as Peter Beattie did in Queensland with the electoral rorts affair.’
- ‘Today I've decided to take a look at some of these rip-offs and rorts, and to invite readers to submit their own observations and opinions by way of the forums.’
- ‘They see political entitlements with too many rorts and too much feather-bedding.’
- ‘In August 1999 a firm represented on a State Government committee investigating real estate rorts was accused of being part of the problem.’
- ‘The facts of these matters and the rorts around them are now part of public record.’
- ‘One of Australia's biggest rorts is a politician's superannuation.’
- ‘With all the travel rorts and credit card misuses by politicians and high officials that have been exposed in recent times, this further instance of ripping off the taxpayer was sure to ignite public opinion.’
- ‘What MPs have done is legislate a tax rort for themselves.’
- ‘But ask any long-term employee and a cascade of rorts, real and imagined, come tumbling out.’
- ‘They set up a fake company that appeals to greedy businessmen keen for a rort and the race is on.’
2A wild party.
social gathering, gathering, social occasion, social event, social function, function, get-together, celebration, reunion, festivity, jamboree, reception, at-home, soirée, socialView synonyms
- ‘They seem to be able to find money to waste on rorts and subsidising big business but yet we still have waiting lists in hospitals.’
1930s: back-formation from rorty.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.