One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of music) uncommercialized and full-blooded, typically showing traditional or ethnic origins.
- ‘Ragtime blues was the rootsy style of music played by American jug bands in the 1920s and 30s, and Ragweed take this style and add their own touch of north coast character.’
- ‘Splitting the difference between the quiet Appalachia and alt-country found on her previous two discs, Suzie Ungerleider returns with a collection of rootsy rock.’
- ‘But in the UK, that ‘folk’ tag usually means something much more rootsy.’
- ‘The new record sounds more rootsy, down-home and settled than the last record.’
- ‘Sticking more to an urban, rootsy and realistic sound, the latter half of the compilation gets right under your skin.’
- ‘True, I generally don't spend much time in that region of the musical landscape where rootsy earthiness crosses into rock dynamics and posturing.’
- ‘But be warned, this is not a gig featuring his usual brand of ear-shattering rock - it's more rootsy, country-based music.’
- ‘How many times can you say ‘good mid-tempo rootsy rocker’ or ‘folk-inflected acoustic ballad’ before you cough up a lung into your coffee cup, anyway?’
- ‘Her new album ‘South’ is a mixture of rootsy soul inspired music, a couple of rockers and a few electronic influences.’
- ‘The unimpeachably authentic Lucinda Williams releases another rootsy, sultry gem this month.’
- ‘Fearing's music is just incredibly simple, rootsy, and heartfelt music.’
- ‘These influences are evident on this decidedly mellow album, which embraces a spectrum of rootsy, acoustic sounds.’
- ‘This album is an irresistible blend of blues, rootsy soul, and soft acoustic rock, with poignant and heartfelt lyrical phrasing.’
- ‘The recording is sparse and to the point, focusing on a blend of folk, soul and a rootsy take on rock ‘n’ roll.’
- ‘In fact, the album's overall polished countenance doesn't seem to jive with the band's supposed rootsy goals.’
- ‘There's never anything wrong with a twist of rootsy folk and country, but once it veers into corny territory it's time to switch gears.’
- ‘His songs were almost exclusively from his latest album, a collection of pleasant, rootsy pop tunes.’
- ‘In terms of sounds and song writing, the group display a rootsy but progressive approach that should ensure that they, and their audience, stay challenged, refreshed & interested.’
- ‘And while such slights might be easily explainable with regard to punk-rock dunderheads and whatnot, rootsy souls are supposed to be thoughtful and predisposed to such sensibilities.’
- ‘This was the beginning of three powerful years, which marked the growth of gritty, rootsy blues-based rock in the UK.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.