One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Music springing from and identified with a particular culture, typically that of the West Indies.
- ‘The folk and blues revivals of the 1950s and 1960s are identified as creating a new national awareness of roots music as these music genres become identified with the civil rights and anti-war movements.’
- ‘Used for weddings, parties, dances, just about any celebration, klezmer is Jewish roots music, an essential part of the culture.’
- ‘His wistful brand of traditional American roots music is deeply embedded in mysticism and keenly embodies the stature of the early 20th century's lonely, nomadic soul.’
- ‘In the best of roots music tradition, she merges the secular with the religious, alluding to the Bible even as she appeals to a distant lover.’
- ‘Instead, I argue that the film insinuates that the very claim to and concern with authenticity in folk or roots music provide a figure for understanding the elusive foundations of these mythologies.’
- ‘Such ill-conceived attempts at evoking American roots music virtually always sound forced, if not downright stupid, and currently seem to plague so many Americana and alt-country releases.’
- ‘When it comes to roots music, the first thing people think of in relation to Chicago is the blues, but there has always been a country presence as well.’
- ‘What with the slow rediscovery of American roots music, this could be a huge (and for the most part, deserved) sleeper hit.’
- ‘Still adhering to hypnotic vocal melodies and traditional string arrangements, it has modernized Nordic roots music and projected it into an impressionistic future soundscape.’
- ‘From the first listen, the album's connection to the simple traditions of roots music and to the heart is unmistakable.’
- ‘Fans of Afro-Latin roots music will love this album.’
- ‘A fresh voice: great songs with a wide range of subject matter (from personal ads to car racing to secretive lovers), and all played by a motley collection of seasoned roots music veterans.’
- ‘Their gig last month at the Sugarbowl drew an appreciative packed house of roots music aficionados.’
- ‘With full, or nearly full houses, at all of these shows we may be seeing a critical mass of jazz and blues lovers coming together in Edmonton in much the same way it seems to have happened for folk and roots music fans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.