One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for root
- ‘As an unrepentant internet devotee, I spend a lot of time rootling around cyberspace seeking out the edifying and unusual.’
- ‘And I certainly wasn't the only one rootling though the display at the back of the shop.’
- ‘Repotting them has taken care of removing the mulch, which needs doing at this time of year so that the birds can rootle around in the pot and eat some of the nasties which are attempting to overwinter in there.’
- ‘Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs do not rootle but they do like to graze, so a grassed area is important.’
- ‘If I hadn't got indigestion I wouldn't have gone rootling around in my bedside drawer for that indigestion tablet that i never knew why I had in the first place.’
- ‘She spends half an hour rootling through her filing cabinet looking for that letter the previous house owners sent her about such things, to no avail.’
Early 19th century: frequentative of root.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.