One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A supporter or fan of a sports team or player.‘ringside rooters rose to salute him’‘Minnesota Twins rooters’
follower, supporter, upholder, defender, advocate, disciple, votary, partisan, member, friend, stalwartView synonyms
- ‘The ball park has become an advertising venue and celebrity scene instead of a home away from home for rooters.’
- ‘When Tiger seemed too good for his age, and the other parents took him for a ringer, Tida was his one rooter on the course.’
- ‘The biggest change, though, is atop the 37-foot high wall, where there are 280 new seats - plus standing room - filled with Red Sox rooters whose relentless razzing is within earshot of the left fielder.’
- ‘It won't be long, I'm sure, before Tiger rooters will start painting the links red.’
- ‘For the Rangers' rooters, it's not as if this seven-year slump were another long-suffering Stanley Cup famine.’
- ‘Another fan, this one a Patriots rooter, clearly had had more than his share of beer and was making a spectacle of himself in the stands.’
- ‘The ballpark was pulsating and one fan heading back to his seat with beers set them down, hugged a security guard and slapped hands with other rooters.’
- ‘Justice Stewart Potter was also a baseball fan, a Cincinnatii Reds rooter.’
- ‘Cubs rooters, in fact, may well be the only fans in professional sports that learn from an early age to wear a protective cup to games.’
- ‘Imagine, Chiefs rooters applauding loudly for the Giants before their contest, acknowledging their opponents' link to New York City.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.