Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The fleshy enlarged root of a plant used as a vegetable, e.g., a carrot, rutabaga, or beet.
- ‘The winter and early spring diet comprised preserved pork, bread, beans, and root vegetables - filling, if monotonous.’
- ‘There was time for more climbing and hiking in the summer, and then came canning, the root vegetable harvest, and weeks of chopping firewood for the winter.’
- ‘Another convincing reason to grow beets, in contrast to such root vegetables as carrots or potatoes, is the speed at which they produce a crop.’
- ‘If you'd like to extend the harvest of carrots, turnips and other root vegetables, leave some in the ground to mulch as the weather gets colder.’
- ‘Traditionally a mix of beef and root vegetables in a crusty shell, the pasty was easy for tin or copper miners to take along and eat on the go.’
- ‘Folic acid can be found in green leafy vegetables, root vegetables, mushrooms, fruit, nuts and pulses.’
- ‘Cassava, a hardy root vegetable, is drought-resistant, and will survive when other crops fail due to lack of rainfall.’
- ‘The onion rings were about as far removed from the original root vegetable as you can get.’
- ‘The taro, an Asian root vegetable, imparted a purple glow to the cup and tasted like melted bubble gum ice cream - pleasant but very, very sweet.’
- ‘Buried in this dirt, which remained cool but didn't freeze in the winter - were potatoes, carrots, turnips, and other root vegetables.’
- ‘And I decided to bake the two remaining ones: baking is my favorite cooking method for root vegetables, it brings out their sweetness in a delightful way.’
- ‘Trudy had taken all of the dried fruits and meats she could find at home, she also brought root vegetables with her like potatoes, beets and a few turnips.’
- ‘The most popular of all root vegetables (after potatoes) is the carrot, which represents 14% of vegetable sales at £31 million.’
- ‘Parsnips are root vegetables like carrots, but unlike carrots they do not resent being grown in soil that has been recently fertilised.’
- ‘Whether you prefer your beets as a root vegetable, a cooked green vegetable, or as an attractive addition to your salad mix, it's time to explore this nutritious, delicious and versatile crop.’
- ‘For the candied root vegetables: Divide vegetables by type into four separate saucepans and cover each with simple syrup.’
- ‘Winter root vegetables contain several nutrients, including calcium, magnesium and vitamin C for the optimum function of the immune system.’
- ‘We like it with root vegetables, especially potatoes, as well as summer squash.’
- ‘Each will convince you how healthy, light, and flavorful root vegetable dishes can be.’
- ‘I particularly like the taste of parsnips, but you could substitute other root vegetables (carrots, turnips, celery-root) or better yet, use a mix of several.’
root vegetable/ˈvəjədəbəl//ro͞ot//ro͝ot ˈvejtəbəl/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.