One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The pulp-filled cavity in the root of a tooth.
- ‘Seven hundred years ago this man would have been suffering from terrible toothache: the pulp cavity was exposed and the infection had passed down the root canal to form an abscess in the jaw.’
- ‘The root canals are normally an oval shape and may be very fine and difficult to fill.’
- ‘Afterwards, the tooth is sealed by placing a rubbery filling into the root canal.’
- ‘He or she will then drill into the pulp to reach the root canals.’
- ‘Working against the clock, the drilling continued; the root canals were opened and emptied.’
- ‘Restorative dentistry also includes endodontics (treating the pulps or root canals of teeth) and prosthodontics.’
- 1.1North American A procedure to replace infected pulp in a root canal with an inert material.
- ‘The impact is all the more astonishing because many revolve around such intrinsically ‘exciting’ events as a mother going to the city on the train to have a root canal and taking her young daughter along.’
- ‘Another one of those times is when your back goes out, and another is when you have to have a root canal, and wind up with a $3,000 dentist bill.’
- ‘You take the guy to the dentist's office at 3 a.m. for a root canal, and he's back on the ice the next night.’
- ‘Suddenly you're forced to estimate summer child care expenses and what part of your upcoming root canal isn't covered by insurance.’
- ‘Done poorly, it is more painful than a root canal without novocaine.’
- ‘Anyway, when I went to the dentist, he told me I needed a total root canal.’
- ‘I would rather have a root canal than do a photo shoot.’
- ‘Alright… next week I have to make another appointment for a root canal… do you think you could do fine alone again next week?’
- ‘I, of course, forgot that I'm on pain medication ‘cause I had a root canal last week.’
- ‘You don't want to be at the dentist and have the novocaine wear off halfway through a root canal, do you?’
- ‘Of course, the security of paying a set premium every month rather than $1, 000 for a root canal right before Christmas is worth something.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.