One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A male domestic fowl; a cock.
cockerel, male fowl, caponView synonyms
- ‘Outside there was a chicken coop and John had already bought three chickens and a rooster and they now milled about the coop pecking at bugs on the ground.’
- ‘Hens and roosters, showing off their gilded feathers, gabble under my window,’
- ‘These fights usually end up with the death of one of the roosters.’
- ‘We don't recommend roosters for backyard beginners - they are loud and aggressive, and the hens will lay better without them.’
- ‘The next morning, she woke up to the crowing of roosters at dawn, but barely lifted a hand or batted an eye to get up, returning to the lulling delight of slumber.’
- ‘Papa couldn't butcher their milk cow and he had to keep the surviving roosters and hens to build a new flock in the new year.’
- ‘You don't need a rooster to get eggs; hens lay just fine with no male supervision.’
- ‘A rooster and two chickens are her only companions.’
- ‘As dawn approaches and the light level rises, you will hear roosters crowing and the night ambient sounds will die away.’
- ‘Fresh eggs, the farm atmosphere, roosters crowing in the morning - the whole effect.’
- ‘The sun's light stretched across he sleepy town, causing a few roosters to crow.’
- ‘But now the only thing they had at the farm was an old milk cow, Hannah, and a few chickens and a rooster.’
- ‘Dawn stretched out upon the sky, and the roosters proclaimed the new day across the country.’
- ‘My only training was in how to hold off the rooster when I was scattering the wheat grains to the hens.’
- ‘There were quite a few chickens wandering around, but evidently no roosters.’
- ‘Cockfighting (two roosters battling each other in a ring) commands a fanatical following.’
- ‘She could hear about two, no, three different roosters crowing, sunlight just barely peeking through her window.’
- ‘The Senate version would outlaw the interstate shipping of dogs or roosters for the purpose of fighting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.