One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A comfortable ambient temperature, generally taken as about 70°F.
- ‘Transfer the dough to a lightly floured cold work surface and set aside to rest at room temperature for five minutes.’
- ‘Nuts can be stored in their shells for about four months at room temperature before becoming rancid.’
- ‘Is it true that all red wines should be served at room temperature and not chilled?’
- ‘Oils are distinguished from other fats because they remain liquid at room temperature.’
- ‘The flavor improves overnight, so the pie is best served the following day at room temperature.’
- ‘I just let the plants sit in the hot tap water until it comes to room temperature, and place in our cooler.’
- ‘Megan didn't touch her food, merely stared at it while it cooled down to almost room temperature.’
- ‘In my opinion, this crumble is best warm, but it's good at room temperature, too.’
- ‘If bought green, quince should be allowed to ripen at room temperature for a few days until yellow and fragrant.’
- ‘This is a sea vegetable gelatin which does not need to be refrigerated and is quite hard at room temperature.’
- ‘Fresh tomatoes can be stored in the fridge, but are significantly better ripened and served at room temperature.’
- ‘Cats generally prefer their food between room temperature and body temperature.’
- ‘The inspectors complained that raw eggs were being stored at room temperature instead of in the fridge.’
- ‘Ghee remains good for several weeks at room temperature, and for months in the refrigerator.’
- ‘These chemicals slowly leach out toxic vapours at room temperature - a process called out-gassing.’
- ‘If it's thawed at room temperature, harmful bacteria can build up on the surface and in the meat.’
- ‘The plant likes bright light and grows well in room temperature.’
- ‘When you get home, place the avocado in a paper bag and keep it at room temperature; it will ripen in two to five days.’
- ‘That means the liquid oil is blasted with hydrogen to make it solid at room temperature, like butter.’
- ‘If it isn't at room temperature, your hands are going to get rather cold when you squeeze out the water.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.