Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A comfortable ambient temperature, generally taken as about 70°F.
- ‘I just let the plants sit in the hot tap water until it comes to room temperature, and place in our cooler.’
- ‘Fresh tomatoes can be stored in the fridge, but are significantly better ripened and served at room temperature.’
- ‘Transfer the dough to a lightly floured cold work surface and set aside to rest at room temperature for five minutes.’
- ‘Cats generally prefer their food between room temperature and body temperature.’
- ‘In my opinion, this crumble is best warm, but it's good at room temperature, too.’
- ‘That means the liquid oil is blasted with hydrogen to make it solid at room temperature, like butter.’
- ‘This is a sea vegetable gelatin which does not need to be refrigerated and is quite hard at room temperature.’
- ‘Megan didn't touch her food, merely stared at it while it cooled down to almost room temperature.’
- ‘If it's thawed at room temperature, harmful bacteria can build up on the surface and in the meat.’
- ‘The plant likes bright light and grows well in room temperature.’
- ‘Oils are distinguished from other fats because they remain liquid at room temperature.’
- ‘The inspectors complained that raw eggs were being stored at room temperature instead of in the fridge.’
- ‘If it isn't at room temperature, your hands are going to get rather cold when you squeeze out the water.’
- ‘When you get home, place the avocado in a paper bag and keep it at room temperature; it will ripen in two to five days.’
- ‘Ghee remains good for several weeks at room temperature, and for months in the refrigerator.’
- ‘Nuts can be stored in their shells for about four months at room temperature before becoming rancid.’
- ‘If bought green, quince should be allowed to ripen at room temperature for a few days until yellow and fragrant.’
- ‘Is it true that all red wines should be served at room temperature and not chilled?’
- ‘The flavor improves overnight, so the pie is best served the following day at room temperature.’
- ‘These chemicals slowly leach out toxic vapours at room temperature - a process called out-gassing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.