One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The outer surface of a building's roof.
- ‘Here the sunset wraps the masts, rooftops and steeples of the harbour and city in a sleepy peach-coloured haze.’
- ‘Fire had sprouted on several of the rooftops and street carts, its tongues licking the feet of those who ran by it.’
- ‘So high that it preserves the view across the rooftops from the apartments opposite?’
- ‘I heard about a young man who watched the towers start to go down from his Manhattan rooftop.’
- ‘Even some U.S. prisons have now started urban gardens, which can be on rooftops as well as on the ground.’
- ‘On the rooftop she had a good view of the city, but disliked it immensely.’
- ‘From the café on the rooftop you can look out across the massed roofs of the three component cities of medieval Fes.’
- ‘Only those who had a tall rooftop to take refuge on were really safe from the wall of water that washed in from the sea.’
- ‘She points at a sloping rooftop, different from the flat and wide roofs of the local Arab dwellings.’
- ‘Hundreds of people are still waiting to be rescued from the rooftops of homes and buildings.’
- ‘Finally, look as closely as you can, to a rooftop on one of the middle-sized buildings downtown.’
- ‘All the buildings nearby create a maze of alleyways and rooftops.’
- ‘It also has two parks next to the school, a rooftop play area and a multi-purpose indoor play area for the children.’
- ‘The red and gray sky above the rooftops is darkening and the inhabitants are hastening home for dinner.’
- ‘It then grabbed a hold of the little railing around the rooftop of the building.’
- ‘While driving past an industrial park, I observed many buildings with empty rooftops.’
- ‘He kissed the top of my head before we both fell asleep to the sound of thunder rolling away and the rain beating the rooftops.’
- ‘There are not as many people on their rooftops or waving to helicopters for help.’
- ‘Pigeons cooed from the rooftops of buildings, and rats scurried along the floor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.