One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The outer surface of a building's roof.
- ‘From the café on the rooftop you can look out across the massed roofs of the three component cities of medieval Fes.’
- ‘Pigeons cooed from the rooftops of buildings, and rats scurried along the floor.’
- ‘I heard about a young man who watched the towers start to go down from his Manhattan rooftop.’
- ‘On the rooftop she had a good view of the city, but disliked it immensely.’
- ‘Only those who had a tall rooftop to take refuge on were really safe from the wall of water that washed in from the sea.’
- ‘It also has two parks next to the school, a rooftop play area and a multi-purpose indoor play area for the children.’
- ‘All the buildings nearby create a maze of alleyways and rooftops.’
- ‘She points at a sloping rooftop, different from the flat and wide roofs of the local Arab dwellings.’
- ‘It then grabbed a hold of the little railing around the rooftop of the building.’
- ‘Finally, look as closely as you can, to a rooftop on one of the middle-sized buildings downtown.’
- ‘Here the sunset wraps the masts, rooftops and steeples of the harbour and city in a sleepy peach-coloured haze.’
- ‘The red and gray sky above the rooftops is darkening and the inhabitants are hastening home for dinner.’
- ‘Hundreds of people are still waiting to be rescued from the rooftops of homes and buildings.’
- ‘He kissed the top of my head before we both fell asleep to the sound of thunder rolling away and the rain beating the rooftops.’
- ‘Fire had sprouted on several of the rooftops and street carts, its tongues licking the feet of those who ran by it.’
- ‘So high that it preserves the view across the rooftops from the apartments opposite?’
- ‘There are not as many people on their rooftops or waving to helicopters for help.’
- ‘While driving past an industrial park, I observed many buildings with empty rooftops.’
- ‘Even some U.S. prisons have now started urban gardens, which can be on rooftops as well as on the ground.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.