One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garden on the flat roof of a building.
- ‘Situated at the end of the accommodation terrace, the pavilion contained canteen, gymnasium, library, and day nursery facilities, all surmounted by a shared roof garden.’
- ‘They have additional amenities such as cafes and sun rooms on each floor, an on-site childcare facility, exterior terraces, a roof garden, and proximity to public transportation.’
- ‘The library's sloped and curving wall has already become an icon for the city, and its roof garden offers spectacular views of the city and surrounding mountains.’
- ‘Because the birds had taken a great shine to the roof garden they congregated there in vast numbers.’
- ‘The owners of the penthouse have access to well maintained communal gardens, as well as the use of a large roof garden.’
- ‘Obviously people are being driven towards energy efficiency in buildings, and the roof garden would be one way of ensuring that you save energy.’
- ‘Designed by John Fleming Architects, all units have balconies and en suites, and each apartment block will have its own roof garden and landscaped courtyard areas, with a new market green at the front.’
- ‘Lots of interesting stories come out of the roof garden on top of the building.’
- ‘My flat is the last in the building so that means I have access to a small roof garden.’
- ‘Reductions in pollution and flooding from stormwater runoff are also claimed due to the roof garden holding rain and filtering it.’
- ‘Another group of students undertook the care of a roof garden which has contributed significantly to the school's surroundings.’
- ‘The building had single-level apartments on the second floor, and a roof garden on top.’
- ‘Rounding off the pavilion's layers is a roof garden with grassy hummocks and a calm, reflecting pool.’
- ‘I would personally like to see the council lease the top floor of one of its centrally located multi-storey car parks, perhaps for the summer months and build a temporary roof garden.’
- ‘Located in a terrace, the house has a roof garden with views of the sea.’
- ‘It has stylish rooms, a Japanese roof garden and indulgent bathrooms.’
- ‘Only one summer old, this lush Seattle roof garden is well on its way to becoming this family's favorite close-to-home hideout.’
- ‘The insulating properties of the earth in the roof gardens further increase the building's resistance to harsh external conditions.’
- ‘For those who want to garden now, starting a roof garden can cost as little as $30.’
- ‘And don't forget the amazing roof garden with stunning views over the city.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.