Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A traditional circular African dwelling with a conical thatched roof.
small house, house, bungalow, villa, lodge, chalet, cabin, shack, shantyView synonyms
- ‘Upon hearing the shots, the man said he ran from his rondavel and managed to apprehend one of the fleeing suspects, whom he recognised as a relative of Mama who had recently been fired.’
- ‘Treatment was made more difficult by a power cut, leaving patients to be cared for in a dark rondavel on the clinic premises.’
- ‘Martin is justifiably proud of the quality of the construction, thatching, painting and plastering of the rondavels.’
- ‘We used to have five rondavels, big land for cultivation and livestock, but when we were removed we lost virtually all of that.’
- 1.1A building based on the design of a rondavel, used as a guest room, storeroom, or vacation cottage.
- ‘Many are highly individual in their design ranging from rustic tree houses, to grass roofed rondavels or elaborate tents set under permanent thatched canopies.’
- ‘They offer accommodation in a limited number of enclosed rest-camps, in thatched rondavels, bungalows and chalets.’
- ‘Accommodation ranges from rondavel huts and safari tents to family bungalows and cottages and luxury guesthouses.’
- ‘He certainly found it, and ten years ago bought his small corner of paradise and built twenty five rondavels and a restaurant and bar on a small islet opposite.’
- ‘The house has a pleasing feel to it, shaped as three attached rondavels with thatched roofs, stone walls and wooden windows, in an adaptation of the traditional indigenous thatched hut.’
From Afrikaans rondawel.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.