Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An expert in or student of Roman antiquities or law, or of the Romance languages.
- ‘A mixture of doctoral students setting out the direction of their research and established Romanists trying out new ideas present 12 essays.’
2derogatory A member or supporter of the Roman Catholic Church.
- ‘Certainly, the burnings of Mary Tudor's reign had made the Romanists and Protestants more entrenched in their views.’
- ‘The Romanists became even more bold, demanding to know why I believed that the Bible was the Word of God; demanding to know why I believed Sola Scriptura; even asking if I would be offended if they offered me a set of rosary beads.’
- ‘The Anglican thinks to himself, ‘I'm not a Romanist bound by all that legalism, so I'm set.’’
Belonging or adhering to the Roman Catholic Church.
- ‘Sadly, despite involvement in a wide range of welfare work, most churches have lost their way since the gospel was first pioneered in Argentina in the face of Romanist opposition.’
- ‘However, both through the canon law and through the interest of common law judges in civil law from time to time, Romanist ideas have been an undoubted if minor influence on the substantive law of England and Wales.’
- ‘All liturgics I can celebrate in Romanist basilicas.’
- ‘I don't buy that this about Evangelicals suspicious of the Anglo-Catholic Romanist leanings.’
- ‘Although Parliament alone could change this order, Mary's Romanist supporters began to celebrate mass as soon as she arrived in the capital.’
- ‘The Protestants challenged the Romanist notion of a sacred/secular dichotomy, which was expressed, for example, in the monastic lifestyle.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.