One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Denoting a passenger ferry or other method of transportation in which vehicles are driven directly on at the start of the voyage or journey and driven off at the end of it.
- ‘It was a sizeable roll-on roll-off car ferry, hefty but also angular, with two huge engines.’
- ‘This roll-on roll-off vessel will provide a service to live exporters.’
- ‘A contractor is being sought to build a €500,000 roll-on roll-off slipway.’
- ‘Great passenger liners gave way to oil tankers of more than 200,000 tons, and cargo vessels to roll-on roll-off container ships.’
- ‘The yard is working on eight ships at the moment, five being ro-ro ferries.’
- ‘A successful test run of the new short sea ro-ro ferry service on Monday, means the new service is on schedule to a May 1 start.’
- ‘Seven months on, the business goes from strength to strength, with a third ferry now back in service after being modified, making it operator of the three largest ro-ro ferries and the most modern fleet on the Solent.’
- ‘He also has responsibility to ensure an adequate ro-ro ferry capacity to service the growing market for store cattle.’
- ‘The ro-ro ferry had developed an engine problem due to a cylinder head gasket failing.’
- ‘The first is by roll-on roll-off vessel, the vehicle being driven below decks where it is secured and then driven off at its destination.’
- ‘Facilities include two dedicated roll-on roll-off berths used primarily for the export and import of motor vehicles.’
- ‘The construction of a roll-on roll-off ramp to help in the transfer of stores to ships.’
- ‘‘The fact that they will be suitable for roll-on roll-off operations means that they could be launched from the bow to save even more time,’ he said.’
- ‘After the second world war, the yard lay in ruins but has since had heavy reinvestment and is now the top ro-ro ferry producers.’
- ‘The ro-ro ferry, with 12 passengers on board, lost power in gale force winds while approaching St Margaret's Hope in March.’
- ‘The new ro-ro ferry service from St Margaret's Hope to Gills Bay in Caithness fell foul of the weather at the weekend, with all sailings on Saturday cancelled.’
- ‘One large medium-speed roll-on roll-off vessel or two fast sealift ships can lift almost an entire combat team.’
- ‘Raw materials would be delivered to the site in skips, roll-on roll-off containers, tankers and moving floor lorries and tipped inside the building or discharged into a storage area.’
- ‘The roll-on roll-off ferries received minor damage after crashing together in dense fog around 5pm on Friday night.’
- ‘The 110-metre ro-ro ferry will operate on the route.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.