Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
attributive (of deodorant or cosmetic) applied by means of a rotating ball in the neck of the container.
- ‘‘The Sweet and Glossy - a roll-on flavored lip gloss - is great because it gives you a sheer shine,’ Leslie adds.’
- ‘Nowadays, I leave Britain armed with insect repellant of the plug-in type, plus spray, plus personal roll-on repellant.’
- ‘Avoid aerosol cans, and stick to roll-on deodorants and pump hair sprays or styling gels.’
- ‘Against a bold, persimmon-colored backdrop, a fleshy Buddhist monk sitting on a meditation cushion, his back partially turned to the viewer, applies roll-on underarm deodorant.’
- ‘See-through color and a fuss-free roll-on tube make this one perfect for fast mirror-free applications that leave a high shine.’
- ‘The slick matte silver tube features a roll-on top for easy application, tip protection during recapping and overall protection in the bag or purse.’
A roll-on deodorant or cosmetic.
- ‘A good deodorant (solid or roll-on are best, particularly if flying) is an absolute must, unless the ‘natural scent’ and stained pits have become a big fashion statement.’
- ‘Sure roll-ons are moist, but if it's moist, I know it's there and it's doing it's job.’
- ‘The next most popular variety is the roll-on, used by 15 percent of the population.’
- ‘Insect repellents are available in a variety of forms including, sprays, roll-ons, sticks, plug-in devices and creams.’
- ‘Creams, ointments and roll-ons can help heal many skin conditions.’
- ‘I didn't know that she specifically wanted a roll-on because I wouldn't have even thought application methods were an issue.’
- ‘It's the only thing that I use in this steamy town, because it works way, way better than sticks, sprays or roll-ons.’
- ‘Some 20-plus SKUs line the shelves, with three forms - roll-on, solid and Silk Protection - in original, powder, fresh and unscented varieties.’
- ‘Deodorants and Antiperspirants are sold as aerosols, roll-ons, and sticks.’
- ‘In late 2002, whitening products also found their way into deodorant roll-ons in Indonesia.’
- ‘Besides the active ingredient, the two major differences you will find are application, such as gel, solid, aerosol or roll-on, and scent.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.