Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The acting out of the part of a particular person or character, for example as a technique in training or psychotherapy.
- ‘Mock telephone calls and mock reservations were made possible via role playing and a code for a test hotel, respectively.’
- ‘It focuses on moving away from lecture-style teaching and into more western methods such as role playing and problem solving.’
- ‘Staff members train surgical teams using two methods: lectures on concepts and principles, and case studies that involve role-playing in simulated crisis scenarios.’
- ‘We went through the rules of engagement and orders for lessons using role-playing scenarios.’
- ‘Marks mentioned a tactic in this regard of role playing — she sometimes 'becomes the student' and asks the students to teach her.’
- 1.1Psychology The unconscious acting out of a particular role in accordance with the perceived expectations of society.
- ‘The performance is about role-playing in everyday life.’
- ‘Both films are based on the juxtaposition of farce and melodrama and the comedy that arises from role-playing and role-switching.’
- ‘While such role playing may indicate a hidden identification with the role, I do not mean to read the artist psychoanalytically, but rather to explore the effect of her works.’
- ‘Henry is role-playing to regain the sense of order he has lost when he realizes the futility of the war and his lack of place in it.’
- ‘They assumed invented personae via performances and photographs during the '70s, many of them in backlash against the role-playing conformity expected of women in daily life.’
- ‘The layers of role-playing and deception add richness and interest to the characters' interactions and complicate the mystery enjoyably.’
2Participation in a role-playing game.
- ‘The kids in this, who take their RPG into real life, are not geeks, but intelligent kids who enjoy role-playing.’
- ‘The game includes role-playing elements.’
- ‘The director is apparently a long time role-playing fan.’
- ‘One friend of ours was complaining one day, saying, "I really like role-playing, and I want to do more of it, but I had to drop out of the game I was in because of my boyfriend."’
- ‘I've played fantasy role-playing games at home with old friends and online with new ones, and it's perhaps my favorite genre for games.’
role playing/ˈrōl ˌplāiNG/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.