One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The acting out of the part of a particular person or character, for example as a technique in training or psychotherapy.
- ‘We went through the rules of engagement and orders for lessons using role-playing scenarios.’
- ‘Mock telephone calls and mock reservations were made possible via role playing and a code for a test hotel, respectively.’
- ‘Marks mentioned a tactic in this regard of role playing — she sometimes 'becomes the student' and asks the students to teach her.’
- ‘Staff members train surgical teams using two methods: lectures on concepts and principles, and case studies that involve role-playing in simulated crisis scenarios.’
- ‘It focuses on moving away from lecture-style teaching and into more western methods such as role playing and problem solving.’
- 1.1Psychology The unconscious acting out of a particular role in accordance with the perceived expectations of society.
- ‘Henry is role-playing to regain the sense of order he has lost when he realizes the futility of the war and his lack of place in it.’
- ‘Both films are based on the juxtaposition of farce and melodrama and the comedy that arises from role-playing and role-switching.’
- ‘The performance is about role-playing in everyday life.’
- ‘The layers of role-playing and deception add richness and interest to the characters' interactions and complicate the mystery enjoyably.’
- ‘They assumed invented personae via performances and photographs during the '70s, many of them in backlash against the role-playing conformity expected of women in daily life.’
- ‘While such role playing may indicate a hidden identification with the role, I do not mean to read the artist psychoanalytically, but rather to explore the effect of her works.’
2Participation in a role-playing game.
- ‘The kids in this, who take their RPG into real life, are not geeks, but intelligent kids who enjoy role-playing.’
- ‘The director is apparently a long time role-playing fan.’
- ‘One friend of ours was complaining one day, saying, "I really like role-playing, and I want to do more of it, but I had to drop out of the game I was in because of my boyfriend."’
- ‘The game includes role-playing elements.’
- ‘I've played fantasy role-playing games at home with old friends and online with new ones, and it's perhaps my favorite genre for games.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.