An early form of reggae music originating in Jamaica in the 1960s, characterized by a slow tempo.
- ‘He presents a crucial hour of rocksteady, ska, ragga, dancehall, dub and the best reggae.’
- ‘They have consistently laid down the traditional styling of ska music, taking influences from its early days along with rocksteady and reggae.’
- ‘His simple, often hypnotic approach, to ska, rocksteady and reggae made him one of the most distinctive sounding musicians of the era.’
- ‘By the time it found mass success, it was already slowing down to the swaying tempo of rocksteady and soon after that, reggae.’
- ‘Soon enough the dance halls were dominated by the ska beat, which eventually metamorphosed into rocksteady, this transformation paving the way for the emergence of reggae.’