Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Unlikely to change, fail, or collapse.‘her love was rock solid’
- ‘Based on the rock-solid foundation of a legend from a thousands-of-years-old oral tradition, this film has no problem meeting the standard for a good Arctic movie.’
- ‘With such a rock-solid and steadfast premise, the most drastic changes to the show usually involve cast replacements.’
- ‘If Harl now worries about the future of rock-solid family farms, it's time for all of us to be worried, no matter how competitive we think we are.’
- ‘There is some graininess and picture noise from time to time, but for the most part the image is rock-solid.’
- ‘Janzer's viola tone is gorgeous, and Szabo provides a rock-solid foundation and attractive tone throughout his instrument's register.’
- ‘Her singing is rock-solid and exciting, and she seems to have an endless supply of lung power.’
- ‘It's great cinema too, built on the rock-solid foundation of this world-weary script.’
- ‘Directed with a magnificent hand, shot expertly with beautiful cinematography, this is a wonderfully moving script, with incredible acting, and a rock-solid DVD presentation.’
- ‘Christie provides rock-solid support for Kurosaki's violin, and the music's harmonic foundation is never in question.’
- ‘The regulars are rock-solid as always.’
- ‘At its heart, Rushmore is a genuine, rock-solid human life-story flavored with pathos and comedy and sprinkled with classic movie references.’
- ‘Steely Dan is a combination of rock-solid music and biting satire mixed with humor, a band that has been around seemingly forever.’
- ‘At the same time, it's moving to see how panicked the older nuns are at the changes taking place in their formerly rock-solid world.’
- ‘Within its romantic sitcom genre, this is a rock-solid entry that may enchant new viewers.’
- ‘Despite the rockiness of the show's fourth season, HBO has once again given the series a rock-solid presentation on DVD.’
- ‘What stands out is Noble's fervid imagination and rock-solid technique.’
- ‘I think it is important to have a rock-solid technique that will not let me down and will give me longevity and flexibility to allow me to do the things I want to do.’
- ‘Both actors turn in the sort of rock-solid character performances that have made them industry staples.’
- ‘The paintings are all frontal and straightforward, rock-solid and penetrating, yet have an ethereal quality.’
- ‘Natural use of humor permeates the Studio in an upbeat environment, backed up with rock-solid teaching.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.