One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Common salt occurring naturally as a mineral; halite.
sodium chlorideView synonyms
- ‘It may seem wasteful to use a box of rock salt, but this can be cooled and reused several times because it won't deteriorate.’
- ‘If I take my honey, mix it with rock salt and an organic olive oil I've got the best body scrub on the planet.’
- ‘Ice cream must have arrived there from Spain, because the old-fashioned ice cream was made in a grinder called garapinera, with rock salt and ice packed round a central container of milk.’
- ‘Running for several miles east and west, at a height ranging from three hundred to four hundred feet, these desolate hills are composed of rock salt, capped with a bed of gypsum and chalk.’
- ‘Everyone stays inside, the neighbors seen only in cars backing slowly down driveways sprinkled with rock salt, breath hovering on windows.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.