One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Common salt occurring naturally as a mineral; halite.
sodium chlorideView synonyms
- ‘It may seem wasteful to use a box of rock salt, but this can be cooled and reused several times because it won't deteriorate.’
- ‘Ice cream must have arrived there from Spain, because the old-fashioned ice cream was made in a grinder called garapinera, with rock salt and ice packed round a central container of milk.’
- ‘Everyone stays inside, the neighbors seen only in cars backing slowly down driveways sprinkled with rock salt, breath hovering on windows.’
- ‘If I take my honey, mix it with rock salt and an organic olive oil I've got the best body scrub on the planet.’
- ‘Running for several miles east and west, at a height ranging from three hundred to four hundred feet, these desolate hills are composed of rock salt, capped with a bed of gypsum and chalk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.