One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mainly gray Old World pigeon that frequents coastal and inland cliffs. It is the ancestor of domestic and feral pigeons.
- ‘Along with the raven and the eagle, the rock dove is ‘part of a great trinity of bird symbols for Western civilisation’.’
- ‘He's a member of the pigeon family which includes the familiar rock dove, and the common city pigeon, as well as the white-winged dove of the Southwest.’
- ‘The leaves disappeared from the penny only in 1967, when they were replaced by a rock dove to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of confederation.’
- ‘Descended from wild rock doves, homing pigeons can locate their lofts, or roosts, even when released several thousand miles away.’
- ‘Characteristic urban species - rock dove, European starling, and house sparrow - are currently absent from Baker Lake.’
rock dove/ˈräk ˌdōv/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.