Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mainly gray Old World pigeon that frequents coastal and inland cliffs. It is the ancestor of domestic and feral pigeons.
- ‘He's a member of the pigeon family which includes the familiar rock dove, and the common city pigeon, as well as the white-winged dove of the Southwest.’
- ‘Descended from wild rock doves, homing pigeons can locate their lofts, or roosts, even when released several thousand miles away.’
- ‘Along with the raven and the eagle, the rock dove is ‘part of a great trinity of bird symbols for Western civilisation’.’
- ‘Characteristic urban species - rock dove, European starling, and house sparrow - are currently absent from Baker Lake.’
- ‘The leaves disappeared from the penny only in 1967, when they were replaced by a rock dove to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of confederation.’
rock dove/ˈräk ˌdōv/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.