One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of marine fishes that frequent rocky habitats, especially in Australian waters.
Several species, chiefly in the families Scorpaenidae and Serranidae
- ‘Our rods were home made, but with my rod I caught rock cod, parrot fish and spotties.’
- ‘One good one, S. cardinalis, turns up in Australia, where it was given the inappropriate name of red rock cod.’
- ‘So I tried to ignore them by concentrating on the numerous rock cod that seemed to be sunning themselves on the coral.’
- ‘At the edge of the park, you find a collection of caves housing a school of giant rock cod, some stretching the whole of 2 metres.’
- ‘A 27 kg male will consume roughly 25 per cent of his body weight in clams, crabs, squid and rock cod each day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.