One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of marine fishes that frequent rocky habitats, especially in Australian waters.
Several species, chiefly in the families Scorpaenidae and Serranidae
- ‘One good one, S. cardinalis, turns up in Australia, where it was given the inappropriate name of red rock cod.’
- ‘A 27 kg male will consume roughly 25 per cent of his body weight in clams, crabs, squid and rock cod each day.’
- ‘Our rods were home made, but with my rod I caught rock cod, parrot fish and spotties.’
- ‘At the edge of the park, you find a collection of caves housing a school of giant rock cod, some stretching the whole of 2 metres.’
- ‘So I tried to ignore them by concentrating on the numerous rock cod that seemed to be sunning themselves on the coral.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.