One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of popular dance music originating in the 1950s, characterized by a heavy beat and simple melodies. Rock and roll was an amalgam of black rhythm and blues and white country music, usually based on a twelve-bar structure and an instrumentation of guitar, bass, and drums.
- ‘The band featured a crunching blend of three guitars, lyrics for the ‘every man’ and a grass roots sort of approach to rock and roll.’
- ‘Unlike most front men in rock and roll, he doesn't have a huge ego.’
- ‘My heart belongs to rock and roll, and that is the music I performed for nearly 20 years.’
- ‘Carlos Santana hails from the days when technical excellence really meant something in rock and roll.’
- ‘There's nothing like straightforward rock and roll to get your blood pumping.’
- ‘With eerie accuracy, it intimated the upcoming split in American society begat by Vietnam, rock and roll, and a new drug culture.’
- ‘If you've read any of his novels, you are aware that King has an affection for rock and roll.’
- ‘Popular music (be it rock and roll, rhythm and blues, country, folk, rap, or whatever) has the power to express and regulate our emotions.’
- ‘It was a time of innocence and fun, an era of rock and roll, black and white TV, and invaders from outer space!’
- ‘The Mamas and The Papas came onto the music scene at a time where popular music was making the transition from folk to rock and roll.’
- ‘Holly pioneered the dark, fast beat of rhythm and blues, and let bop become rock and roll.’
- ‘They may look weird, but they are the closest rock and roll has come to real art since Frank Zappa.’
- ‘In rock and roll, the best and most influential bands are not always the most successful.’
- ‘Though my first love is rock and roll, classical music has always been able to touch my soul in a different way.’
- ‘As much as the movie tries to deny it, the early '70s were one of the best times for rock and roll.’
- ‘Right around that time was the emergence of rock and roll and I lived it.’
- ‘The result was a socially-relevant musical - a stunning new genre that seemed just right for a new generation raised on rock and roll.’
- ‘Their music used electronic amplification, and was more closely allied to the emerging styles of rhythm and blues and rock and roll.’
- ‘There is only one band that systematically gets cited whenever the concepts of heavy metal and hard-driving rock and roll are discussed.’
- ‘The clothes, the people, the settings, and the war between rock and roll and disco of the time are dead on.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.