One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An automated telephone call which delivers a recorded message, typically on behalf of a political party or telemarketing company.
- ‘Zain had to pull his robo call.’
- ‘The so-called " robocall ", in fact, is now a staple of dirty campaigning.’
- ‘He seized on her complaints that voters are getting irritated by nasty campaign tactics like the robocalls that have been coming from her own campaign.’
- ‘I think robocalls are a nuisance and annoying.’
- ‘These calls are nothing but political spam, and since it is possible to thwart computer-spam transmissions, surely the technology exists, or can be devised, to block robocalls.’
- ‘Republicans are blanketing key Congressional districts with annoying robo calls.’
- ‘Luntz is thinking in terms of 1990's hard-right campaigning - blast-faxing, talk radio, direct mail, robocalls.’
- ‘The campaign is now running some of their robocalls in the home state of Arizona.’
- ‘Telemarketing recorded 'robocalls ' are now illegal, so if you get one, please report the company to the relevant authorities.’
- ‘You've probably gotten the repeated robo calls telling you that your car's warranty is about to expire.’
- ‘The group will not be running ads in any form and will not be making any robocalls.’
- ‘What's the difference between annoying robo calls and voter suppression?’
- ‘For all the preparation cajoling, nose counting, bulk mailing, and robo calling the delegates the convention came down to a couple of hours of controlled chaos.’
- ‘Asked if she would approve the use of robocalls if she were running the campaign, Mrs Palin told the reporter she'd try to do things differently.’
- ‘The growing number of "robocalls" has alarmed privacy lovers, people who need their phones constantly and those who resist the onslaught of commercialism.’
- ‘I get endless robocalls every day.’
- ‘Experts in the call-center industry said that no one tracks the number of robocalls.’
- ‘Republicans have been placing robocalls and sending direct mailings in Wisconsin and other states.’
- ‘The robocalls are reported to be part of a $70 m get-out-the-vote campaign being waged by the Republican party and the McCain campaign in key battleground states.’
- ‘The content of the robocalls is accurate but senior Republicans privately describe them as petty and ineffective at a time when a strong economic message is needed.’
1990s: blend of robot and call.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.