One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British Work done in building or repairing roads.
- ‘One of the artists is now considering taking her work outside and putting on her show amid the roadworks so that at least people will see it.’
- ‘The cabbie said, Listen mate, I can't be blamed if they've got roadworks at Hyde Park Corner.’
- ‘However, Slattery believes that due to roadwork delays, many people are not sticking the commute.’
- ‘It can even work out quick detours around traffic jams and roadworks, if you encounter any, Evesham said.’
- ‘Their properties were being devalued by poor repairs and the failure of some of those carrying out roadworks to replace verges and railings.’
- ‘It was an exercise in landscape history before gravel quarrying and roadworks east of Kettering and Wellingborough destroyed the evidence.’
- ‘Transport developments may put off potential vendors and the traffic congestion the roadworks will cause will undoubtedly lead to buyers opting to look elsewhere.’
- ‘Minihan believed the lottery was creating ‘the wrong image’ because tickets were being sold at traffic lights and roadworks around the country.’
- ‘The Roads Authority imposed restrictions on the use of the B1 route between Rehoboth and Windhoek for the purpose of major roadworks.’
- ‘Dublin jewellers are experiencing a drop in engagement ring sales, as romance pays the price for Luas roadworks and a weakening economy, according to the city's jewellers.’
- ‘The very welcome traffic-jam busting M6 toll road in England's West Midlands is only two months old - but already two lanes have been closed for roadworks.’
- ‘He believes the roadworks in the area have affected the sales.’
- ‘Delays are being caused by the Glen of the Downs / Kilmacanogue bypass roadworks, but these should be completed by the end of August this year.’
- ‘This work will be carried out as part of a major maintenance roadwork scheme programmed for early 1993.’
- ‘Constant roadworks lead to rush-hour gridlock on the highways linking the bustling resorts of Ayia Napa, Lemesos and Paphos.’
- ‘The suspension is excellent and it coped very well with the pre-Olympic roadworks around Athens, as it did on bumpy rural roads further out into Attica.’
- ‘The device can also conjure up alternative routes to bypass roadworks and traffic jams, and will quickly get motorists back on course if they take a wrong turning.’
- ‘They are planning to bundle roadwork projects, but this plan is in the early stages.’
- ‘Temporary traffic lights, single lane restrictions and roadworks are in place on the Greenhills Road between AirtonRoadand Old Tallaght Road.’
2Athletic exercise or training involving running on roads.
- ‘The first step, he says, is to get in plenty of roadwork.’
- ‘In addition there is his regular roadwork and acclimatization in the sauna at the Steinbach Aquatic Centre.’
- ‘I like to get up before daybreak and get my roadwork done.’
- 2.1 Time spent traveling while working or on tour.‘the volume of roadwork has worn him down’
- ‘One of the reasons for Nickelback's success has been the non-stop roadwork and touring.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.