One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The basic monetary unit of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Yemen, equal to 100 halala in Saudi Arabia, 100 dirhams in Qatar, and 100 fils in Yemen.
- ‘Please also do not close my accounts numbered above with you, but retain a sum of 1,000 Saudi riyals in each account.’
- ‘It says first class buildings for accommodation of Hajis in Makkah are easily available for 1,700 riyal but the committee hires these for 2,100 riyal.’
- ‘A Tamimi manager says the company pays an average salary of one Saudi riyal a day and grants leave once every two years.’
- ‘The ambassador is alleged to have deposited international drafts in Saudi Arabian riyals in amounts of between $2 million and $4 million, according to reports in the Washington Post.’
- ‘The Saudi billionaire has given a vote of confidence to world stock markets with plans to invest 4bn riyals on shares in Europe and the US.’
Via Persian from Arabic riyāl, from Spanish real ‘royal’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.