One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A coastal region with a subtropical climate and vegetation.
- ‘Trieste sits on the Italian riviera, near the Slovenian border and at the foot of the Alps, terraced with peach coloured villas.’
- ‘The Dalmatian riviera in Croatia is fast becoming the place to be seen.’
- ‘Holiday destination to none other than the Blair family, Sharm el Sheikh is also know as the Red Sea riviera.’
- ‘Poor in resources it may be, but the riviera, which in Italian simply means shore, in Liguria becomes The Riviera, a rocky, hauntingly lovely strip of coastline connecting France to Tuscany.’
- ‘Western Liguria is home to the Italian riviera and the eastern side borders Tuscany.’
- 1.1 A Mediterranean coastal region from Marseilles in France to La Spezia in Italy, noted for its beauty and climate, site of many resorts.See also Côte d'Azur
Mid 18th century: from Italian, literally ‘seashore’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.