Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A city in southern California, east of Los Angeles, located in the center of an orange-growing region; population 295,357 (est. 2008)
[often as modifier] The ground along a riverbank.‘dinner in one of the better riverside hotels’
- ‘Many species migrate along riverside forests, some covering thousands of miles per year.’
- ‘Its cobbled streets, striking architecture and riverside walkways ensure that it has remained a popular destination for tourists and locals alike.’
- ‘When completed, the landscaped riverside development will incorporate a playground and public park next to the marina.’
- ‘We hope eventually to restore several thousand acres of riverside forest along the San Joaquin River and its tributaries.’
- ‘A new train station and a footbridge across the river are also part of the project, which aims to rejuvenate the riverside area.’
- ‘A riverside cafe terrace in Prague provides one of innumerable places for the residents to enjoy the beauty of their city.’
- ‘The riverside parklands were the project's appeal.’
- ‘Although no longer standing, the brick riverside palace was a favourite of the Tudors and it became Elizabeth's most favourite out-of-town Residence when she was Queen.’
- ‘There is space for an eight-seater table, while the family area to the side has a bay window that takes full advantage of the riverside views.’
- ‘Where livestock have gained unrestricted access to rivers, salmon and trout spawning areas have become damaged and riverside vegetation has been lost which has lead to excessive erosion of the banks.’
- ‘There are meandering walkways along the riverside slopes and extensive off-street parking is provided in the forecourt.’
- ‘Here, the eye still meets unbroken views of lush woodlands sweeping down to the river Thames, surrounded by open riverside meadows.’
- ‘The house is attractive, spacious and full of character, and you would search for a long time to find a home in such beautiful riverside surroundings.’
- ‘After some early landscape studies of the dock and riverside areas near his home, he began to paint the surrounding countryside, often introducing historical or narrative themes.’
- ‘I'm also looking forward to a stroll around the riverside garden.’
- ‘Their riverside views remain one of their great attractions.’
- ‘Eventually, he came to the riverside promenade where a strip of parkland bordered the River Ana.’
- ‘The boat will navigate the ships and ferries of New York harbour and the Hudson and East rivers to chug round the island for all to view from the thirteen public piers, Battery Park and other riverside landmarks.’
- ‘The landscaped site incorporates over 660 feet of water frontage, seating areas and a riverside walk.’
- ‘Trina was sitting outside her grandparent's house later that summer when she heard a commotion coming from the direction of the riverside gate.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.