One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A picturesque view or prospect of a river.
landscape, countryside, country, terrain, topography, setting, surroundings, environmentView synonyms
- ‘Meanwhile, Williams hasn't been deterred from taking tourists on a scenic trip down the exquisitely beautiful riverscape.’
- ‘Not only are they unable to visit foreign countries, but in their own environment they are barred from escorting tourists outside the riverscape and old city.’
- ‘Both the sites that I am familiar with are on the edge of urban developments and in semi-countryside with a wide riverscape and open parkland nearby.’
- ‘At the very least the existing buildings could benefit from some design revitalisation which could also allow them to connect more to the surrounding hills and riverscape.’
- ‘Each time the waters swelled and raged through the passage there at the bridge, their recession revealed an altered riverscape.’
- ‘But surveys show that the environmental benefits of riverscapes are high up on people's list of priorities, with flood defences, understandably, of particular concern.’
- ‘View the river from Ringwood Road just after you leave the last village shop, and you are presented with an exciting riverscape.’
- ‘His back is to the fence and the broad, high riverscape and mountains beyond; he faces in toward his garden where two pines are growing, their trunks intertwined and their branches fanning out above.’
- 1.1 A painting of a river or riverside scene.
- ‘His peaceful, poised riverscapes were a formula pioneered by Daubigny, while several canvases looking straight out to sea, including The Sea at Pourville, were used as studies of different effects of light on the water.’
- ‘Not just because this wall-sized riverscape reflects what must have been the artist's immersion and ruthlessly honest encounter with the landscape, but because it has an intensity that penetrates far, far below the surface.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.