One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boat with a shallow draft, designed for use on rivers.
- ‘It was chaos, but an intricately organized chaos, and the first heaps of cargo were already being trundled off to dockside and the broad-beamed, clumsy-looking riverboats awaiting them.’
- ‘Lincoln's status as a great patenter, incidentally, stems from a single patent (one more than your average US president, we grant you) for a device for lifting riverboats over shoals.’
- ‘An elegant riverboat was stationed in the current of the river.’
- ‘In front of the hotel was the riverboat casino, and in front of that was a marina filled with boats.’
- ‘After a journey of 480 miles by foot and riverboat from Winchester, Virginia, Collins and his companions arrived at Fort Washington on August 29, 1791.’
- ‘I was fortunate enough to find the log he kept as a riverboat captain.’
- ‘The tall man with long blue-black hair leaped lightly from the deck of the riverboat… not wishing to wait on the mooring and the gangplank.’
- ‘When riverboat casinos and Native American casinos started to open in the early 1990s, some Las Vegas operators feared the possible threat to their businesses.’
- ‘Then board a riverboat for a trip down the mighty Mississip’!’
- ‘‘She's actually a show girl at one of the riverboat casinos on the Red River,’ teased Ian.’
- ‘The passenger capacity of the new facility is approximately 3,200 guests, an increase of 70% over the 1,875 combined capacities of the two riverboats.’
- ‘Saint Louis, situated on the Missouri and Mississippi rivers, was an important transportation hub in the nineteenth century before railroads replaced riverboats as the most efficient form of travel.’
- ‘His parents were performers on Mississippi riverboats.’
- ‘Ted Joans was born in Cairo, Illinois, on 4 July 1928, to African American entertainers working on Mississippi riverboats.’
- ‘On the riverboats, large communal kitchens serve tea and bread for breakfast and rice and beans for lunch and dinner.’
- ‘Visit the observation decks at four area lock and dams to watch barges and riverboats pass through.’
- ‘New riverboats were constructed to meet these new tourist markets, and much effort was also expended on the restoration of surviving nineteenth-century boats, either for tours or as moored museums.’
- ‘The casino was a riverboat, lying gently on the Mississippi River.’
- ‘An 88-passenger riverboat, River Cloud, will travel on the Danube River from Amsterdam to Antwerp.’
- ‘A little later he devised a riverboat which could propel itself against a current by using 'legs' that reached the riverbed, as well as the more conventional paddles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.