Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who takes risks.‘he was a risk taker who wanted to try new things’
backer, staker, speculator, risk-taker, betterView synonyms
- ‘I'm not what you would call a big risk-taker - even the uncertainty of a good game of Truth or Dare taxes my nerves.’
- ‘Unlike the industry he backs, Miller is no risk-taker.’
- ‘In our study, as well as in others, men proved higher risk-takers than women.’
- ‘Born in Ainsworth, Nebraska, his life was that of an entrepreneurial risk-taker.’
- ‘I've been told I'm the risk-taker of my family.’
- ‘Industry statistics indicate that entrepreneurs are higher risk-takers than the general population.’
- ‘Our democracy was forged in rebellion, crafted by mavericks and risk-takers who refused to salute authority.’
- ‘Those of us who are successful are definitely risk takers.’
- ‘Boys are certainly bigger risk takers than girls, according to the survey.’
- ‘He stopped worrying about achieving and became more of a risk-taker.’
- ‘The underlying logic was that shareholders were the residual risk-takers in the system.’
- ‘By nature I was, I suppose, a risk-taker.’
- ‘There don't seem to be a lot of risk takers in hip hop these days.’
- ‘Born into a wealthy British family he was always a big risk-taker.’
- ‘Singaporeans have never been known to be risk-takers.’
- ‘Silicon Valley has always been known as a Mecca for risk takers.’
- ‘I'm not a risk taker at all.’
- ‘Some firms are hierarchical and conservative while others are imaginative risk-takers.’
- ‘We all know entrepreneurs are supposed to be risk takers.’
- ‘Was he a highly-charged risk-taker who, away from his family, had chanced all on a madcap, criminal adventure?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.