One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Loose stone used to form a foundation for a breakwater or other structure.
- ‘A rock and log structure was placed within the riprap and willow structures to improve instream habitat for fish.’
- ‘The job, located in an established, upscale residential development, required reshaping 150 ft of the eroded banks of a creek and armoring the site with riprap.’
- ‘The group launched a three-year study that aims to plant trees, stabilize stream banks with vegetation and riprap, and build sediment ponds.’
- ‘Therefore, the texture of the bottoms of channels should be made rough with vegetation or riprap, and outlet structures should be properly designed with energy dissipaters.’
- ‘Students should be prepared for the often hard and dirty work of manhandling nature - removing invasive plants, digging up drainage tile, placing riprap along streambeds.’
- ‘The status quo conditions depend on the continued existence of riprap and seawalls, which in turn result in an unchanged distribution of beach conditions.’
- ‘He recycles the material as a replacement for riprap in lining drainage channels or protecting streambanks from erosion.’
- ‘Can drainage ditches be stabilized against erosion by installing riprap or a rolled erosion control product immediately after they have been developed?’
- ‘Both the pool and its protective lining of stone riprap must be properly sized.’
- ‘However, during installation of riprap or other bank stabilization projects any remaining trees or shrubs were usually removed, and there was little evidence of attempts to re-establish wood or shrub riparian vegetation.’
- ‘Unchecked erosion also fills riprap channels with silt and reduces the storage capacity of detention ponds via sediment deposits.’
verb[WITH OBJECT]North American
Strengthen with riprap.
- ‘A large section of streambank was riprapped to prevent the landowner's septic system and 20 feet of severely slumping shoreline from washing into the brook.’
- ‘A creek near the back of the house was riprapped with large chunks of sidewalk that were jackhammered out’
Mid 19th century: reduplication of rap.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.