One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A tool that is used to tear or break something.
- ‘However, a seam ripper can work just as well if you follow this simple method: Insert the point of the ripper just inside the bar tack on one side of the buttonhole.’
- ‘Bring the point of the seam ripper up through the fabric in the center of the buttonhole and cut only to the center.’
- ‘Seam rippers and thread nippers slip nicely into empty prescription pill containers or film canisters.’
- ‘It was strong as can be, machine washable, and the patch was easily removed with a standard seam ripper.’
- ‘Have you ever started at one end of a buttonhole with your seam ripper, started to cut, and then slipped and cut through the stitches on the other end of the buttonhole?’
- ‘Carefully use the seam ripper to cut the stitches to open the end of the underwire channeling and remove the underwire.’
- ‘To create the reversed pockets featured on the shorts, use a seam ripper to carefully remove the pockets from the jeans, cutting the stitching only and not the fabric.’
- 1.1 A murderer who mutilates victims' bodies.
- ‘I mean maybe they didn't commit the jack the ripper killings but everything after that, they are guilty.’
- ‘Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire ripper, between 1975 and 1980 mutilated and killed thirteen women, and attempted to murder a further six because he thought God had told him to do so.’
2Australian informal A thing that is particularly admirable or excellent.
- ‘However I can guarantee there are some absolute rippers this year, but I don't want to spoil the proper announcements.’
- ‘I've done a couple of rippers recently: for instance, there was Brisbane - Sydney - Middle East - Hong Kong - Istanbul - London, all in two weeks and playing in each place.’
- ‘They had a ripper of a profits warning back in February, when it said early sales of its revolutionary laser eye surgery equipment would be held back by manufacturing problems and regulatory delays.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.