One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sound made by a mobile phone when an incoming call is received.
- ‘Mobile phone ringtones are seen as the basis for an increasingly lucrative music market - sales have already outstripped CD singles.’
- ‘The most popular downloads in the mobile content marketplace are ringtones, music and games.’
- ‘The latest trend in mobile phone is customising ringtones.’
- ‘However, the text failed to advise them that, as a result of requesting and receiving the free ringtone, they would also be signing up to receive three ringtones a week costing £1.50 each.’
- ‘Songwriters collected $71m last year in royalties from the sale of mobile phone ringtones.’
- ‘The caller and recipient both hear a ringtone and, once the recipient clicks on Answer Call, the call is initiated.’
- ‘The manufacturer has given the phone an additional loudspeaker, so that ringtones, alarms and speaker calls sound much clearer.’
- ‘Planes will no longer be a haven from irritating ringtones with the arrival of cheaper ways to allow mobile phones to be used on aircraft.’
- ‘Cara had one fleeting thought: Hey, that sounds just like my ringtone.’
- ‘The theme tune is now available as a ringtone for your mobile.’
- ‘The room grew silent, which made the sound of my ringtone seem that much more invasive and violating.’
- ‘Polyphonic sound is basically a ringtone that can produce more than two notes at a time, sixteen to be precise, allowing for a tune that covers a broader spectrum of music.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.