One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A ring-tailed cat or lemur.
- ‘The action centered on a longsuffering canine and a ringtail cat with a love of baubles and a habit of causing havoc for his partner.’
- ‘Equally at home running along the ground or chasing through the canopy, they cruise the forest looking for a vulnerable ringtail or a sleeping sifaka.’
- ‘The mammals the researchers studied were the platypus, echidna, opossum, wallaby, hedgehog, mouse, rat, rabbit, cow, pig, bat, tree shrew, colugo, ringtail lemur, and humans.’
- ‘Month-old ringtails look like miniature adults: the same black and white clown make-up and soft grey fur.’
- ‘The ringtail lemur, of course, has a beautiful ring tail that they hold up to locate each other in the rain forest.’
- ‘The cameras never detected some species that are believed to still exist in the area, such as black bears, long-tailed weasels, ringtails, badgers, and spotted skunks.’
- ‘Rio Grande Turkey roam the gallery forest, as do fox, ringtails and other mammals.’
- 1.1 A female hen harrier or related harrier.
- 1.2 A golden eagle up to its third year.
2A nocturnal tree-dwelling Australian possum that habitually curls its prehensile tail into a ring or spiral.
Genus Pseudocheirus and other genera, family Petauridae: several species, in particular the common ringtail (P. peregrinus), of southern Australia and Tasmania
- ‘I was sitting beneath brilliant stars, listening to humming crickets, while a trio of plump ringtail possums cruised the restaurant railings, watching my every bite with saucer-sized eyes.’
- ‘In this study common ringtail possums appear to show poor regulatory ability when feeding on foliage diets.’
- ‘Common ringtail possums are strictly nocturnal so food was offered at 1800 and removed between 0500 and 0800 the next day.’
- ‘Three species of arboreal marsupials are able to subsist on a diet solely of Eucalyptus foliage: the common ringtail possum, the greater glider and the koala.’
- ‘They provided much needed help in capture of ringtail possums.’
- ‘Tree dwelling, leaf-eating species such as the tree kangaroo and the ring-tailed possum were found to be quite resilient.’
- ‘Of course Australia is best known for its marsupial mammals: several species of kangaroo and their smaller cousins, the wallabies; the sweet-faced rural-and urban-dwelling ring-tailed possum; and the chubby hairy-nosed wombat.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.