One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A seat immediately adjacent to a boxing ring.
- ‘A film like this succeeds not only because of the story and characters, but because the fight scenes are filmed in such a way that we're in the ring with the fighters, not merely spectators watching from a ringside seat.’
- ‘I had a ringside seat for what could be a fight to the death.’
- ‘While there, I was fortunate enough to have ringside seats for Thai kickboxing, a real treat.’
- ‘Larry said the ringside seats are going to sell no matter what the price.’
- ‘The demand for tickets has been growing steadily and it looks as if all the ringside seats will be sold out in advance.’
- ‘It is difficult to know whether to laugh at, or cry for, the unfortunates who shelled out up to £500 each for ringside seats at the ‘fight’ last Saturday night.’
- 1.1 An advantageous position from which to observe or monitor something.‘when the war in the air got under way, the site of the bungalow gave an awesome ringside seat of events’
- ‘They'll get a ringside seat as the youngsters develop and will be able to watch as they take their maiden flight from the tree-top nest.’
- ‘After lunch, we moved to the observation/lounge car, where we had ringside seats for the outstanding Sierra Nevada scenery.’
- ‘From the ringside seats it was clear that finally the message of the global anti-war movement had been heard loud and clear.’
- ‘I had a ringside seat for the early years of that project, because it all happened right around the corner from my old lab.’
- ‘Much of what he has gained from his ringside seat is an idea of what not to do in an emergency.’
- ‘He spends a lot of his time holed up in safe flats, and, peeking out of the window, has a ringside seat at much military action, but remains strangely marginalised.’
- ‘We definitely have a ringside seat at a tenacious and historic affliction of an out of control Credit system and boom and bust dynamics.’
- ‘He has been a foreign correspondent for 20 years with a ringside seat at many major international events.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.